Of fevers and trade offs and the wonder of bananas
Had a fever last night - I suspect a UTI caused by the catheter - so it was yet another draining night of thin sleep and constant bathroom breaks.
Kidney function has reached normal levels, my creatinine is down to the 70s and I'm absorbing the medicines a lot better than just after the operation. My urm, digestive tract is working again, which is a relief.
The kidney function may be back to normal, but I'm feeling far from it due to all the meds. Right now I'm on a ton of immuno-suppressant drugs. Quite a tricky thing to manage since 1) A strong immune system would quickly kill off the donor kidney 2) No immune system would mean a simple cold could kill me. The critical period is 3 months, during which frequent bloodtests will determine the levels of suppressants I'll need to maintain the kidney and a semblance of an immune system.
I'm particularly susceptible right now to the CMV virus - something present in everyone - and the virus responsible for chicken pox and shingles. I'm to be on this for maybe three months, but I'm hoping less, as it's helluva expensive. 2 weeks worth of 450mg pills twice a day costs SGD$1.5k. *Faint*
It's a good thing I'm off the drugs that were being delivered via the CVC as those also cost a bomb and don't have very pretty side effects. I've lost about a quarter of my hair in five days!
Ironically, the key drugs I'll be on for life: Cyclosporin, Mycophenolate and Prednisolone, will cause a host of other health issues. The first two can harm the kidneys and liver, while Pred causes osteoporosis, excessive hair growth (not on the head, unfortunately) and something called Central Obesity or Moonface. Being immuno-compromised also increases the risk of certain cancers, especially lymphoma and skin cancer.
It's a trade off, but I guess it just requires awareness and vigilance - which I'd much prefer. It's sure helluva lot better than being hooked up to a machine.
I've been on Pred for about 5 or 6 years now, but at a low dose for my secondary condition, Sjorgren's Syndrome. Taking such a heavy dose again takes getting used to, especially with the weight gain and excessive water retention.
Ah well. In other news, bananas are now my favourite fruit. They help my chronic low potassium (an anomaly in a renal patient), are really satisfying and are full o'fibre-y goodness!
Kidney function has reached normal levels, my creatinine is down to the 70s and I'm absorbing the medicines a lot better than just after the operation. My urm, digestive tract is working again, which is a relief.
The kidney function may be back to normal, but I'm feeling far from it due to all the meds. Right now I'm on a ton of immuno-suppressant drugs. Quite a tricky thing to manage since 1) A strong immune system would quickly kill off the donor kidney 2) No immune system would mean a simple cold could kill me. The critical period is 3 months, during which frequent bloodtests will determine the levels of suppressants I'll need to maintain the kidney and a semblance of an immune system.
I'm particularly susceptible right now to the CMV virus - something present in everyone - and the virus responsible for chicken pox and shingles. I'm to be on this for maybe three months, but I'm hoping less, as it's helluva expensive. 2 weeks worth of 450mg pills twice a day costs SGD$1.5k. *Faint*
It's a good thing I'm off the drugs that were being delivered via the CVC as those also cost a bomb and don't have very pretty side effects. I've lost about a quarter of my hair in five days!
Ironically, the key drugs I'll be on for life: Cyclosporin, Mycophenolate and Prednisolone, will cause a host of other health issues. The first two can harm the kidneys and liver, while Pred causes osteoporosis, excessive hair growth (not on the head, unfortunately) and something called Central Obesity or Moonface. Being immuno-compromised also increases the risk of certain cancers, especially lymphoma and skin cancer.
It's a trade off, but I guess it just requires awareness and vigilance - which I'd much prefer. It's sure helluva lot better than being hooked up to a machine.
I've been on Pred for about 5 or 6 years now, but at a low dose for my secondary condition, Sjorgren's Syndrome. Taking such a heavy dose again takes getting used to, especially with the weight gain and excessive water retention.
Ah well. In other news, bananas are now my favourite fruit. They help my chronic low potassium (an anomaly in a renal patient), are really satisfying and are full o'fibre-y goodness!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home