Saturday, December 03, 2005

15 Staples

Took a peep at my surgical scar today when they changed the dressing. It was quite hard to actually see it - my belly is in the way - but it looks kind of like a caeseran section, just skewed towards my right side. There are 15 staples holding it together like a railway track. It doesn't hurt much, most of my right leg is numb from the hip down anyway, but it does kind of itch, which drives me a little nuts.

I've been getting up from bed and sitting in a chair - moving all of 1 foot away from the bed. It's as far as I can go, being leashed to so many tubes and all. My poor back can take only about 30 seconds of unsupported standing before it cries for help. I try to shuffle my feet to 'get some exercise' and help with the water retention, but I doubt I'll debloat until they get these goddamn drips off me. I'm estimating a minimum input of 2 litres every hour for 24 hours for the past few days. There's only so much I can pee! Apparently last night I peed more than 5 litres! It explains the slight reduction in my belly and the relief of not feeling like I swallowed an entire melon.

I'm back on food again, but I'm being cautious about overeating. I'm always ravenous due to the high-dose Prednisolone though, so it's quite hard to stop finishing whatever's in front of me. Mum sent in some cream crackers, a small box of swiss rolls and a mug of bird's nest soup for me to munch on. Temptation lies right next to my bed, but since it's so hard to get up and lean over, I haven't devoured everything... yet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home