Monday, December 12, 2005

Solitude

Sounds strange, but I'm enjoying being alone. There's always something to do or think about if you put your mind to it... even with limited resources. I'm of the notion that if you can't be alone, you can't really learn much about yourself. Perhaps it's from living the first six-months in Sydney on my own, with pretty much no company at all. Don't get me wrong, I love people and socialising. I enjoy parties, especially if I get to host them, and I love hanging out with the mad-sexy-cool fiends I call friends. I love clubbing and dancing and singing and laughing.

But I do also love being alone. And being in hospital and having to restrict contact with the outside world is a great excuse to revel in my thoughts and hang out with me, myself and I. I love the company of a little music, a good book or a DIY project. TV is also a great friend, especially if it's Discovery Travel and Living (FOOD!) or some Discovery Channel infotainment. It's weird but I'm a sucker for Extreme Engineering and Mythbusters. Too bad the TV here only shows HBO... there're only so many Hollywood Blockbusters I can take (approx 1.5 shows).

I like to wake up to Channel News Asia's Primetime Morning, take a long shower, have breakfast and await the latest kidney updates from Dr Lim and Dr Richard.

Then I watch the series of home deco shows on Channel 5 over lunch.

After lunch I like to prop my bed up, turn on Symphony 92.4 on my mobile and read.

I'm currenty besotted with Anthony Bourdain and Iain Pears. I've ploughed through Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour. My newest favourite book is Pear's Dream of Scipio, which I've read twice, restarting the book almost immediately after I finished it. I'm now rediscovering An Instance of the Fingerpost, Pear's debut novel. When I'm in need of a little reality, I flip through Time and read the entertainment section or the science-y news. I leave American politics well alone until I've run out of reading material.

My wee pet project now is turning an entirely blank 200-odd paged notebook into my 2006 organiser/nerd diary. It's a nice size, about 6"x4" and will be handy to carry around. I'm designing a pretty cover in pencil and pen and will fill it with a monthly calender as well as a weekly planner. OMG OCD alert!

Haha. The ironic truth is that my one special failure as a psycho nerd is the inability to draw a straight line. Even with a ruler. And at least three points of reference. And sticking my tongue out in concentration. And crossing my eyes. It takes considerable patience, my own special brand of passion for organisers and the thought of having to an incomplete project taunting me from the bottom of a drawer somewhere to motivate me to DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE.

Thas basically my day. I usually have company for dinner. Mum comes by almost daily with home cooked food and D drops by to hang out and buy me contraband: Goreng Pisang (banana fritters), Chicken Rice with extra gizzard and Custard Puffs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home